Friday, January 20, 2017

Proud to be Canadian on this day

Well I'm ALWAYS proud to be Canadian. The more you travel, the more you will understand how lucky WE are!! But today, as I enjoy life as a Canadian wintering in Mexico I cannot ignore what is happening in the USA. Again. I am soooo proud to be Canadian. We are not perfect. There is so much more we can do. BUT ...

BUT - and I truly don't care what your political beliefs are - during 2016 Canada (Canadians) welcomed more than 25,000 Syrians refugees. It's what we DID during the first large immigration into Canada. This happened during the Irish Famine (there were many Irish famines, but the 1840s is what most know about) when about 500,000 arrived on Quebec shores. Half a million? Sick. Destitute. Impoverished. Hopeless. It's what we did. It's what we do today. It's what we will always do.

And Thank God we still Welcome the sick, the destitute, the hopeless.

I am in the process of writing a genealogy presentation about my trip to Gross Isle to see where the sick, the destitute, and the homeless landed in Canada between 1832-1937. My Mother was born an American, and I get it, but today I'm saying "God bless CANADA"!! And yes, I am in tears.


Cheers,
Pat


No comments:

Post a Comment