Friday, October 28, 2016

Irish Cottages

I was fortunate enough to stay in an Irish cottage (sort of, as it was modernized to the 21st century) except for its fireplaces which were still all peat. What an interesting smell, one I shall never forget as it's totally different than our wood fireplaces. And something I did not know when I began my Irish research, was that the bogs we see recorded in things like Griffith's Valuation, are and were far from worthless! In fact they were valuable as this is where the peat came from for their fireplaces used to heat their homes, and cook their food.

I just found this well written article from Dr. Marion McGarry regarding our romantic notions of Irish cottage life. Read it and weep as they say. http://drmarionmcgarry.weebly.com/irish-heritage-and-identity/sensory-experience-in-an-irish-cottage-smells


Cheers,
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment