Sunday, February 1, 2015

French Canadian Filles du Roi

Dick Eastman has just published a very interesting article on the Filles du Roi or King's Daughers who were single, mostly French girls sent to Canada in mid 1600s to become wives to the many French troops already stationed in Quebec. I have known of these girls for a long time, but what I found most interesting this morning was the dowry the King included for each girl. Here goes:

1 chest, 1 taffeta handkerchief, 1 ribbon for shoes, 100 needles, 2 knives, 1 comb, 1 spool of white thread, 1 pair of stockings, 1 pair of gloves, 1 pair of scissors, 2 knives, about 1,000 pins, 1 bonnet, 4 laces, and 2 silver livres (French coins). Wow, I can think of a whole lot of other things I'd have rather brought with me! hahaha Times have changed.

Anyway, these young women have left hundreds of thousands of descendants. The article is at http://blog.eogn.com/2015/01/31/les-filles-du-roi/

For some fun you can also look through an alphabetized listing of all known Filles du Roi and their husbands linked from the bottom of the page mentioned above.


Super Bowl Sunday and it's raining a bit here so I made a key lime pie using fresh limas!! WOW. I'm pretty sure it's on my diet sheet ... somewhere? haha


Happy Searching,
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment