Tuesday, September 30, 2014

1875 Scottish Valuation Rolls - FREE index searches

ScotlandsPeople http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ is now offering free index searches on the 1875 Valuation Rolls.


Here is an awesome tip - I just learned this too!! Thanks to Chris Paton for sharing this on his blog British GENES.

"The 1875 valuation rolls index is free to use. As you know the index does not tell you who owned the property if your relative was a tenant, a good way to do this is to go to the box marked Place and put the name of the street or farm name etc. in, this will tell you who owned the property

For example I know my relatives lived at Broomhill in the Parish of Cawdor Nairnshire. I got to the county, put in Nairnshire, then parish Cawdor, and Place Broomhill. It states there are 5 entries. I then click to access the index and it tells me that Earl Cawdor owned all the properties and the the names of the tenants including my relative Charles Macarthur who rented the farm."


Cheers,
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment